The ANY-maze controlled Fear Conditioning system is an ANY-maze software driven product
(www.ANY-maze.com). A Fear Conditioning specific version of the ANY-maze software is paired with and controls all of the components necessary to conduct Fear Conditioning experiments on mice. Systems require a computer which is not included.
The system uses the two most common fear conditioning paradigms:
- Contextual Fear Conditioning
- Acoustically-Cued Fear Conditioning
Fear conditioning is the method by which animals learn to fear new stimuli. It is a form of learning in which fear is associated with a particular neutral context (e.g. a room) or neutral stimulus (e.g. a tone). This can be done by pairing the neutral stimulus with an aversive stimulus (e.g. a shock). Eventually, the neutral stimulus alone can elicit the state of fear.
The detection of Freezing is automated and based on video analysis, by using the Any-Maze software (specific version for Fear Conditioning), which also controls the shocker and the sound generator.
Our Fear Conditioning system works also in total darkness. In the new model, all controls are managed by a single Electronic Unit with touch-screen.
The system includes the following:
- Fear Conditioning Specific version of ANY-maze Behavioral Tracking Software
- FireWire camera
- Sound Generator
- Animal Enclosure with electrified grid floor
- Sound-Attenuating Chamber with light and fan
- Context Kit (to alter chamber’s color and texture)
- The system does not include a computer but a computer is required
ANY-maze software (specific to the Fear Conditioning apparatus)
- Immobility (fear-induced freezing) quantitatively measured using video-based detection
- Automatically calculates parameters of interest such as:
- Total freezing time
- Number of freezing episodes
- Duration of freeing episodes
- Latency times between stimuli and freezing events
- Constant current (from 0.1 to 2.9 mA in 0.1 mA steps)
- Two Independent channels with adjustable frequency and intensity (100-40,000 Hz; 1-150 dB)
- Two independent ‘white noise’ channels
- ANY-maze driven
- Speaker (and light) can be freely positioned within the sound-attenuation chamber
Enclosure with Electrified Grid Floor
- 17 x 17 x 25(h) cm
- Convenient and innovative opening and debris tray
- Minimizes travel of ultrasonic vocalizations and fear-related pheromones
- Includes light and fan
- Includes a set of removable contexts to alter the animal enclosure’s color and texture
Note: Macintosh Operating Systems are not supported.