The Stoelting OroFacial Pain Assessment Device (OPAD) provides an automated measurement of hot or cold orofacial pain assessment in the trigeminal nerve in rats and mice. Using an operant behavior conflict paradigm, rodents voluntarily decide between receiving a reward or escaping an aversive stimulus.
The OPAD begins to work when the animal touches and presses between dual peltier-controlled temperature elements to obtain a liquid reward. As the temperature (hot or cold) becomes aversive, the animal can withdraw. The OroFacial Software will automatically track, the number of licks, contact with elements, and amount of liquid consumed.
- Hot or Cold Temperature Control
- Objective Pain Assessment
- Operant Testing and Measures
- High Throughput
- Rackable System
- Up to 16 Cages with a Single Computer
- 4° to 75°C Temperature Range
- Easy to Clean
- Easy USB Connection
- Designed for use with Mice and Rats
The OPAD cage for either mice or rats is seated on a metal base that is easily cleaned. A metal rack is enclosed and can be removed and cleaned between animals. Animals are trained and tested in the cage; the reward bottle is positioned to allow access when simultaneously contacting the thermode with its orofacial region. The metal spout is connected to the data acquisition for recording each lick, in addition, contact with the thermode will record every touch and duration, finally the amount (grams) of consumption from the reward bottle is also recorded. Each cage is easily attached to computer via USB port.
- Easy to clean
- Thermode adjustable
- Single cage for mice and rats
- LCD display
- Bottle can be moved easily
- Easy On/Off
All of this data taken from the hardware will then be displayed and analyzed using the OroFacial Software, a module of our popular ANY-maze software. The software will display and track in real-time the following events: temperature changes and contacts with the thermode, licks and weight of the reward bottle (Figure 1). Following completion of the test, the OroFacial Software will display graphs (Figure 2) and statistical analysis of the experiment(s) (Figure 3); of course data can be downloaded to other software programs.
The following functions are available with the Orofacial Software:
- Set and change thermode temperature
- Automatically tracks licks, and touches to reward bottle & thermode
- Ability to ramp temperature during experiment
- Graphs and statistical analysis available
- Up to 16 cages with a single computer
- Easy to use interface and protocol set-up